The dessert that’s getting all the attention is the ICE-CREAM SANDWICH It might sound simple enough — a slab of ice-cream between two biscuits, but it’s a dessert match made in GOURMET HEAVEN. Top food sites have named the fad among the ‘Five most exciting food trends for 2014.
Last year, top pastry chefs predicted that cupcakes, doughnuts and croissants, would be soon out of the food scene, and unusual food combos, one of them being the ice-cream sandwich, would grab all the attention. Food blogger, Shanti Padukone, affirms, “Fusion food is big, with foodies experimenting a lot. For instance, I recently had a brownie sandwich, which was a toasted sweet bun, with brownie and chocolate sauce. I also tried a doughnut ice-cream, which is essentially toasted bread with ice-cream in it. The texture of these desserts is what makes them popular; they have something crusty accompanying an ice-cream which is cold, smooth and flavourful. I’m not surprised that this trend is becoming huge,” she says.
The ice-cream sandwich is climbing on to the top of the dessert list, at restaurants across the country. The ice-cream sandwich is simple but delicious; it combines cookies and ice-cream, which makes this dessert very popular.
You can off-set several flavours with each other. Cold strawberry or green mint with crispy, sweet biscuit, bitter coffee ice-cream with bland cookie crust and more. While dessert specialist, Pooja Dhingra, votes for flavours like red velvet, walnut cookie with Belgian chocolate. Chocolatier and pastry chef, Sanjana Patel has tried something new with the ice-cream sandwich. “I used caramel sea-salt, the flavour of the year, as well as passion fruit and strawberry sorbet and hazelnut-chocolate truffle between two macaroons. Each bite is a play between textures and a burst of flavours,” she says
INNOVATIVE ICE-CREAM DESSERTS
(1) Ice-cream pies: —Give your usual pie a spin with this one. Take the baked pie crust. Drizzle some chocolate sauce onto it. Spoon the ice-cream into the pie. Drizzle sauce or syrup over it and top it with nuts, cookie crumbs an sprinkles.
(2) Baguette ice-cream : — Cut open a baked baguette slice. Cool and spoon ice-cream into it. Drizzle caramel or chocolate sauce over it.
(3) Ice bombe : — The bombe glacee or bombe is a spherical ice-cream dessert filled with ice-cream, sorbet, pastry and cream.
(4) Icy pops : — Apart from cake pops, you now also have ice-cream pops that are ice-creams with hard outer chocolate shells..
(5) Ice-cream profiteroles : — Substitute the usual pastry cream filling with vanilla ice-cream. Drizzle over it a little warm chocolate or strawberry sauce.