(1) MOLE : It is a sauce containing a complex mixture of more than 20 ingredients, ranging from chilli pepper to chocolate. Also referred to as MOLE POBLANO, this thick and tasty sauce is served over turkey, chicken, pork or even rice.
(2) TAMALES : is a traditional Mexican dish, made usually with corn dough, called MASA. It is either wrapped in corn husks or banana leaves. This preparation is interesting because it can be eaten with chicken, turkey, eggs, honey, fruits or beans —- as fillings. TAMALE could be paired with ATOLE, a thick hot chocolate-flavoured drink made from watery corn-starch, which is a by-product of TAMALE preparations.
(3) POZOLE : Known to be the traditional pre-Columbian stew from Mexico, POZOLE is made from hominy corn. This is stewed for hours, sometimes even overnight, with either chicken, pork or just vegetables. Once it is thick and smooth, other seasonings and garnish are added for a desired flavour. Typically, lettuce, radish, onion, lime, oregano and chilli are added.
(4) GORDITA : It is a small cake made with corn flour, which is stuffed with cheese, meat or other fillings of your choice. Prepared as a thick tortilla, this dough can also be prepared with wheat flour. Some interesting fillings, in a GORDITA, include pork, chicken, beef, beans, cheese, potatoes and eggs along with your choice of your Mexican sauces.
(5) CHILAQUILES : These are nothing but corn tortillas, cut in quarters and lightly fried. These tortillas are made interesting because of the green and red Salsa or MOLE poured over them. The mixture is then boiled, until the tortillas begin to soften. Once this mixture is ready, it is served with either re-fried beans, eggs, beef or chicken and onion and avocado slices too.