Given our modern lifestyle replete with food, stress and bad sleeping habits, almost all of us fall prey to acid reflux or heartburn. Getting to the root of the problem is the most important step. People who are overweight or older tend to be affected more, since abdominal fat interferes with esophagus function and the esophageal sphincter which prevents backsplash, weakens with age.
Just try out these effective home remedies :
(1) Lose weight. Studies show losing 10% of your body fat can improve acid reflux symptoms.
(2) Embark on an anti-reflux diet —- eliminating all those yummy fast food.
(3) Try eating raw almonds, an alkaline-producing food that can balance your pH because they are a good source of calcium.
(4) Drink two ounces of unprocessed aloe vera juice daily.
(5) Start your day with a cup of warm water and fresh lemon juice, on an empty stomach, 15 to 20 minutes before eating anything else.
(6) Try a tablespoon of baking soda in half cup of water — not tasty but effective.
(7) Take 1 to 2tsp daily of apple cider vinegar. It’s great mixed with honey in tea or instead of lemon in tea.
(8) Eat a red delicious apple after problematic meals.
(10) Take the herbal supplement slippery elm in capsule, powder or lozenge form, as it soothes the irritated tissues of the digestive tract.
(11) Chamomile, mint or fenugreek tea may help reduce acid reflux symptoms.
(12) A stick of gum after meals to increase saliva production, which research shows can reduce acid levels in the esophagus.
(13) Sleep on your left side. Studies found sleeping on your stomach or right side can cause additional pressure that increases GERD symptoms. Left-side sleepers report relief.