Summer is here, the sun is blazing, making each passing day warmer and difficult to handle. Fans do not alleviate the heat that is felt. In addition, school children are soon to have their holidays after their exams are over, and they are sure to find the heat unbearable. Now is the time to indulge in some unusual and easy-to-make fruity-flavoured ice creams.
Basic method to make ice cream
* Prepare your mixture, then chill over an ice bath. Meanwhile freeze a shallow stainless steel container. * Pour the cold mixture into the frozen pan * Chill for 20mins and check the ice cream. As the edges start to freeze, stir the mixture vigorously with a spatula or a whisk to make it smooth and creamy. Continue to freeze after whisking. * Stir the ice cream every half an hour, about 4 to 5 times, until it is firmly frozen. If the ice cream becomes too hard to stir, let it sit out till it is soft enough to stir before freezing it again. * In 3 hours, your ice cram should be ready to serve.
KIWI & PEPPER ICE CREAM
Ingredients: 6 ripe kiwi fruits, 1cup sugar, 2 eggs, 2cups heavy cream, 2tbsp sugar, 1tsp crushed pepper.
Method : For a refreshing taste, try this. Peel the kiwis and mash them in a bowl until they are a puree. Stir 2tbsp of sugar into the fruit and refrigerate for an hour. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Then, blend in 1cup of sugar and whisk until completely blended. Pour in the crushed pepper and stir to blend. In the end, pour in the kiwi puree and mix thoroughly.
WATERMELON & BASIL ICE CREAM
Ingredients : 6 cups watermelon (chopped into cubes), one and a half cups heavy cream, one and a half cups milk, 1cup sugar, 2cups crushed basil leaves.
Method : Basil and watermelon make for a good salad, but they also make a fantastic ice cream. First, deseed the watermelon and puree it. Press the watermelon puree through a strainer to remove any chunks or seeds. Then, add to it cream, milk, sugar and basil leaves and whisk until the sugar is fully incorporated. Your mixture is ready.
GRAPE & BLACK CURRANT ICE CREAM
Ingredients : One and a half cups heavy cream, one and a half cups whole milk, 3tbsp honey, 1 1/4 cup sugar, 1 1/4 cup black seedless grapes, 4 egg yolks, a pinch of salt, some lime zest, 1/2cup black currant.
Method : For a burst of flavour, try this ice cream. Roast the grapes a little, until the juice is bubbling. Meanwhile blend the cream, milk, honey, salt and half the sugar in a pan and cook until it comes to a simmer. In another bowl, mix egg yolks with the left over sugar and lime zest. Add the cream mixture into the egg and sugar bowl gradually. Heat this final mixture till it thickens. Then, dice each of the roasted grapes into half and add them all into the mixture before freezing. Once ready, sprinkle some black currants.
MANGO & PISTA ICE CREAM
Ingredients : 3 cups heavy cream, 2mangoes, 1tsp vanilla extract, some sugar, 1cup of chopped pistachios.
Method : There is nothing better to beat the heat with than the king of fruits. Peel and chop the mangoes. Add sugar to the mangoes and blend to a smooth pulp. Meanwhile, whip the cream till it is soft. Add the mango pulp and mix thoroughly. Blend in the vanilla extract and whisk until the mixture thickens. Once your ice cream is ready, you can sprinkle the pistachios to add to the royal flavour.
STRAWBERRY & BANANA ICE CREAM
Ingredients : 2 bananas (cut into 1-inch slices, 1/2cup frozen strawberries (sliced), 2tbsp whipping cream, 1/2tsp vanilla extract, one and a half cup sugar.
Method : If you wish to indulge in a heavy and creamy cooler this summer, here’s your option. Freeze banana slices and strawberries overnight. Once you remove them, blend until they are soft and smooth. Add cream, sugar and vanilla extract and whip until your mixture is thick.
(1) Sprinkles : For colour, sweetness and texture, sprinkles are the best option. Neither do they spoil the flavour of your ice cream, nor are they too expensive to use. Go ahead and use generously.
(2) Jelly Beans : These colourful bean-shaped sugar candies are an interesting topping for your ice cream. You could sprinkle them in order to add a different texture to your ice cream.
(3) Wafer : If a light and crispy side is what you wish for with your ice cream, wafers are the best choice. They are not too sweet and come in a variety of flavours such as chocolate, pineapple, etc.
(4) Jujubes : These sugar candies are a variation of jelly beans. They are as soft as marshmallows, are coated with sugar crystals, and come in a variety of colours and sizes.
(5) Brownies : Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, brownies are an all time favourite. So, if you cannot stay away from chocolate, just use a brownie or two as toppings or as part of your ice cream.
(6) Mint Leaves : Mint leaves are refreshing in summer. Chop them up and drizzle them over any ice cream of your choice. Their aroma and taste will also cool you off in the summer heat.