FAT. It’s a beautiful word made ugly in a “thin-inspired” world. It is important to keep your fat consumption under control, but eliminating fats entirely results in eliminating an extremely key nutritional component your body needs. It adversely affects your efforts at getting fit. Your body needs a healthy combination of protein, carbs, vitamins and fats for you to burn fat., because “fat burning” is a high metabolic activity. Simply put, YOU NEED FAT TO BURN FAT.
Some fats are bad for you, pile on the cholesterol and cause problems and some fats are good. Fats like MUFA and PUFA and Omega-3 fatty acids aid your overall weight loss and weight management goals. Include these fabulous fats in your diet. —-
(1) Fat : AVOCADO Fabulous : Avocado is loaded with vitamins (vitamins K, C, B5, B6 and E), fibre and antioxidants. It is not alien to health and well-being and can be eaten in the form of a dip (like guacamole), in a salad or even on its own. Go green
(2) Fat : ALMONDS Fabulous : An Almond is a nutritional boon, combating health issues like high cholesterol and osteoporosis. It’s also good for your heart, brain and immunity Get a daily handful of this nutritious ninja (5-6 almonds per day if you are not on a weight loss programme) to derive the best to offer. Unsweetened almond milk is also a good substitute for cow or buffalo milk if you are lactose intolerant.
(3) Fat : WALNUTS. Fabulous : Walnuts brim with nutrients. Having 2 to 3 a day is enough to help your heart, bone health, mood and weight loss. It also helps fight insomnia, gallstones, diabetes.
(4) Fat : FLAXSEEDS. Fabulous : Flaxseed is an understated power-packed fat. Not only does it act as a natural laxative, it decreases cholesterol and has been known to put up an impressive fight against diabetes. A teaspoon a day of toasted flaxseeds is all you need.
(5) Fat : GROUNDNUT. Fabulous : Groundnut oil has a great balance of MUFA & PUFA. This oil is especially good because it has the antioxidant “resveratrol”, and is a good source of Vitamin E. Those with peanut allergies need to avoid this though.
(6) Fat : RICE BRAN. Fabulous : Another oily option is rice bran oil. This is packed to the hilt with vitamin E and antioxidants. It melds well with whatever you cook, be it Indian or Continental. Its relatively low price makes it an extremely economically-viable option.
(7) Fat : SALMON. Fabulous : Salmon fights heart disease, protects joints, improves mood and boosts cognition Cured or grilled salmon can be apart of your plate in many different avatars.
(8) Fat : EGGS. Fabulous : With just 16 calories per egg white, it is a 100% reference protein. All the protein you get from an egg gets fully absorbed by the body, with none going to waste. It is also cheap. Eat it daily to keep your energy battery on auto recharge mode.
(9) Fat : OLIVES. Fabulous : Olives are great fats, and have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer benefits. Pop it in salads, slice it in pasta or just have it as it is.
(10) Fats : SESAME SEEDS Fabulous : Sesame seeds not only work to give you the good fats you need but are also an excellent source of calcium.
Whatever you choose to eat, all fats should be kept to about 10% in total of your daily recommended calorie intake. Remember —– Good fats are not always less calorific but they can nourish you like few other things can.
—— Pooja Makhija (Nutritionist)