10 of the most UNDERRATED CITIES :
(1) QUEENS, NEW YORK :—It might lack the glamour of Manhattan, but it is still one of the most diverse places on the globe. ‘QUEENS’ is definitely overlooked.
(2) BERGEN, NORWAY : ——-Surrounded by mountains, and the gateway to the Norwegian fjords, this pretty city, on Norway’s west coast, is the ideal destination for cruise fans and nature lovers.
(3) SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO : —– From chic new hotels to night spots, boutiques, dance venues (salsa rules here) and art galleries, urban sophisticates will find much to whet their appetites in San Juan.
(4) DARWIN AUSTRALIA : —-It is often overlooked, in favour of Sydney. The city’s MINDIL BEACH, has some great open-air markets, superb food-stalls and live music, and the city hosted the 2013 BRIDGESTONE WORLD SOLAR CHALLENGE, with teams competing in a 3000km solar-powered vehicle race between Darwin and Adelaide.
(5) ISFAHAN, IRAN : —-It is one of Iran’s great treasures, breathtakingly elegant, located at the foot of the ZAGROS MOUNTAINS. Romantics should try to walk along ZAYANDEH RIVER to the beautiful KHAJU BRIDGE.
(6) LISBON, PORTUGAL : —-It is full of character and flanked by beautiful, un-crowded beaches, making it a good alternative to the touristy ALGARVE.
(7) GLASGOW, SCOTLAND : —-It has the best music scene in Britain, after London, great activities for families, including the SCIENCE CENTRE, and the collections of curios at the ZAHA HADID designed RIVERSIDE MUSEUM and also has some of UK’s best shopping.
(8) HOI AN, VIETNAM : —-It’s not, technically, a city, but this seaside heritage spot, on Vietnam’s central coast, is such an enchanting contrast to hectic Hanoi, that it is worth a mention. The best part is its historic architecture and fantastic street-eats.
(9) CALGARY, CANADA : —-Gateway to the Rockies, yet it is often viewed as little more than an airport-pickup point. But it is special with a cowboy heritage, all its own, one of North America’s best-loved and biggest rodeos (THE CALGARY STAMPEDE), and Canada’s largest museum, THE GLENBOW.
(10) DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA : —-With year-round sunshine, a vibrant cosmopolitan vibe and the beautiful —- and beautifully named —-HARE KRISHNA TEMPLE of UNDERSTANDING, what’s not to love ?